HGST, a Western Digital company, announced today that it is shipping the 6TB Ultrastar He6 hard disk drive.
Key OEM, cloud and research leaders working closely with HGST to qualify the drive include HP, Netflix, Huawei Unified Storage, CERN, Green Revolution Cooling and Code42, as well as some of the world’s largest social media and search companies.
With 6TB, a low 5.3 idle watts, a reduced weight of 640g, and running at 4-5°C cooler, the new Ultrastar He6 lowers data center TCO on virtually every level.
Key TCO benefits when compared to a 3.5-inch, five-platter, air-filled 4TB drive include:
- Highest Capacity HDD on the Market; 6TB, Seven-disk Design, Providing the Best TCO
- Lowest Power Consumption with Best Watts-per-TB
- 23 percent lower idle power per drive
- 49 percent better watts-per-TB Best Density Footprint in a Standard 3.5-inch Form Factor
- 50 percent higher capacity
- Lighter Weight than a Standard Five-disk 3.5-inch Drive
- 50g lighter even with two more disks, offering 50 percent more capacity
- 38 percent lower weight-per-TB
Read the Press Release at hgst.com