Atlantis Computing announced yesterday its next-generation Atlantis ILIO USX™ (Unified Software-defined Storage) solution purpose-built for virtualized server workloads such as databases, mail, collaboration, big data and any line of business application.
Atlantis ILIO USX gives IT organizations the ability to unify all classes of storage, delivering critical data services such as high availability, data protection, inline deduplication, compression and thin provisioning. Atlantis ILIO USX enables organizations to abstract any SAN, NAS, DAS, flash or server RAM to create capacity and performance resource pools, which are then used to dynamically define and create the optimal type of storage characteristics for each application:
- Hybrid – RAM and optimized SAN/NAS/DAS
- In-Memory – Redundant RAM-based storage
- Persistent In-Memory – RAM-based storage replicated to shared storage
- All-Flash – Optimized and pooled local or shared flash
Atlantis Coputing claims that the new technology will allow to deploy up to 5x more VMs on existing storage and to boost IO performance up to 5x using server-side flash and RAM .
Atlantis ILIO USX optimizes how storage is consumed by the application or VM by inserting a transparent software layer between the application and storage. The Atlantis ILIO USX software resides on the hypervisor platform as a set of virtual machines that can abstract any storage hardware into pools of virtual storage that can be combined together to form an Application Defined Storage Volume (ADS Volume). There are two types of storage pools:
- Capacity Pool: Any type of storage is pooled together to provide capacity for ADS Volumes. SAN, NAS, and local storage including SSD and Flash can be pooled in any combination to provide the underlying capacity required by applications and VMs.
- Memory Pool: High-performance server resources such as flash, RAM or even flash on DIMM are pooled and optimized to provide the performance required by the application storage volume. The memory pool can be used either as an optimization and acceleration tier or as primary storage for applications and VMs.
The Atlantis ILIO USX platform applies multiple storage optimization technologies to boost the performance and increase the available storage capacity provided to the application. At the same time, Atlantis ILIO USX dramatically reduces the impact of application IO traffic on storage resource utilization (disk, storage controller, network).